I'd also like to see if another classroom is willing to participate in an online discussion at the conclusion of the lesson.
EQ: What does it mean to be alienated in society?
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.9-10.7 Analyze the representation of a subject or a key scene in two different artistic mediums, including what is emphasized or absent in each treatment.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.9-10.1a Come to discussions prepared, having read and researched material under study; explicitly draw on that preparation by referring to evidence from texts and other research on the topic or issue to stimulate a thoughtful, well-reasoned exchange of ideas.
1. Read (as a class) "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Briefly discuss.
2. Distribute lyrics to "I'm Just a Girl," by No Doubt. Listen.
3. Have students (in pairs) do a close reading of both texts. Using highlighters to note and annotate similarities and differences in subject among both texts. (We will be using google docs for this).
4. Prepare 3 levels of questions for Socratic Seminar (see seminar blog post).
5. Participate in face to face (or online) Socratic discussion of the texts and their relation to alienation and equality.
We would like to complete this lesson plan and, if possible, hold an online discussion with another class during the week of November 12-16th, between 9:45 and 11:00 EST.